This simple leek-based remedy is an ideal addition to your diet and also supports a weight-loss diet. Because it also helps to detoxify the organism, it also promotes health.
This vegetable, the leek, has a much less intense flavor than the onion. If you don’t eat leeks regularly yet, try using them instead of onions in the preparation of different recipes.
Leek is an antioxidant food that has been used since ancient times, primarily by women, to promote health.
There are sources from ancient Greece and also from Rome that show that leeks were used to improve fertility and also to strengthen the heart. It was also consumed at times when one felt tired.
In this article, we would like to show you how you can prepare it in such a way that it helps you detox and lose weight. We are sure that the information presented here will be very helpful to you to achieve your desired weight.
Leeks for good health
A botanist would tell us that the leek belongs to the leek family, which also includes well-known indoor plants such as the amaryllis.
While the latter is not edible, the former is characterized by an onion-like flavor, but much weaker than that of onion and garlic. That makes it gastronomically versatile.
We have already presented some foods in our blog that can provide prophylactic or therapeutic effects, such as carrots, garlic, and lemon. But we rarely talked about leeks. Time we change that!
Leek is a rich source of healthy nutrients
- Leeks contain numerous antioxidants, and flavonoids, which prevent free radical damage to genetic material and thus protect many tissues.
- Through its consumption, the body is also supplied with vitamins, above all, vitamin A and vitamin C., These support the elimination of metabolic end-products and toxins and promote the healing of inflammation.
- Another important vitamin in leeks is folic acid. Pregnant women in particular should consume sufficient amounts of folic acid.
- In addition to vitamins, this healthy vegetable also provides minerals such as potassium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. These elements are essential for health and well-being.
- Its content of soluble and insoluble fiber allows regulation of digestion and prevention of such common ailments as bloating and constipation.
- Anyone who is on a diet and wants to lose weight will also agree that leeks contain only a few calories. 100 grams of fresh leeks contain just 61 kcal.
A natural antibiotic
- Leeks contain as much allicin as garlic, making them a potent natural antibiotic.
- Some studies attribute a cholesterol-lowering effect to the allicin contained in these vegetables. This is due to an inhibition of certain liver enzymes. Both are very healthy!
For a healthy heart
Our easy-to-prepare remedy is an ideal ally for your cardiovascular system.
Regular consumption of leeks leads to an increased release of nitric oxide, which causes the blood vessels to dilate and thus improves blood circulation.
The formation of thrombi, which can trigger a stroke, for example, is prevented.
Detox with leek
Leeks are mostly made up of water. It has a diuretic effect and thus stimulates the elimination of toxins. Maybe you’ve heard of the detoxifying effect of leeks – and if not, then you’ve now learned something valuable!
How the remedy is prepared
- 3 leeks
- 1 liter of water
- juice of a lemon
- This remedy, which will help you lose weight more easily, is prepared with three large leeks and the juice of one lemon.
- First, bring the water in the pot to a boil. Meanwhile, clean the leek and squeeze the lemon if you haven’t already.
- Cut the leeks into small pieces and put them in the boiling water.
- Cook the vegetables well. Then take it out of the water that is the base of your remedy.
- Pour it into a glass jar and add some lemon juice.
- The vegetables can also be used to prepare other delicacies!
- Drink the first cup of this remedy in the morning, right after getting up and on an empty stomach. Best lukewarm. This temperature helps to get the metabolism going and stimulates detoxification from an early hour.
- Before lunch, you should drink another cup of leek infusion.
- The third portion follows in the afternoon and finally the fourth before dinner.
We recommend drinking this remedy in the form of a regimen for ten consecutive days. It should be accompanied by a healthy and balanced diet that is low in fat. Some physical exercise will make losing weight even easier.
You will not only see the results on the scales, but you will also recognize the increased well-being.