MBBS in the UK is amongst the most sought-after degree courses, attracting thousands of international students worldwide. For academically sound students, completing a 5-6 years MBBS program can open the doors to lucrative career options in the medical industry.
There’s no surprise that the UK has been a popular choice among Indian students looking to pursue medical education abroad. As the hub of the best medical schools globally, the UK is a good option for an MBBS program with different specialisations.
Best MBBA Schools in the UK with Their Tuition Fee Structures
Whether you are looking to hire a professional for medical assignment help or enrol in an MBBS course, you want the best for yourself. Fortunately, the UK has many medical colleges and universities recognised by WHO and NMC/MCI where students can apply for quality education.
Here’s a list of the UK’s top medical universities where Indian students with good academic scores can easily apply for an MBBS program:
|University Name||QS Ranking’22||Course||Total Program Fees in INR Per Annum|
|University of Oxford||2||BM BCh Medicine; 6 years||37 Lakhs p/a|
|University of Cambridge||3||MB BChir; 6 years||60 Lakhs p/a|
|Imperial College London||7||MBBS/BSC Medicine; 6 years||47.2 Lakhs p/a|
|University College London||8||MBBS/BSC Medicine; 6 years||28.7 Lakhs p/a|
|University of Edinburgh||16||MBChB Medicine; 5 years||28.5 Lakhs p/a|
|King’s College London||20||MBBS Medicine; 5 years||41.6 Lakhs p/a|
|University of Manchester||27||MBChB; 5 years||25.6 Lakhs p/a|
|University of Glasgow||73||MBChB; 5 years||23.8 Lakhs p/a|
|Queen Mary University of London||117||MBBS Medicine; 5 years||40.8 Lakhs p/a|
|Newcastle University||134||MBBS Medicine and Surgery; 5 years||35.8 Lakhs p/a|
Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students to Apply for an MBA course in the UK
Even though every medical school has its unique eligibility criteria for applying to an MBBS course, the general eligibility criteria for Indian students are:
- The students should be 18+ of age.
- UKCAT – 650
- GAMSAT – 60-66
- BMAT – 4.5-5.0
- The student must pass the 12thexam with PCB as the main subject.
- The student must clear IELTS or TOEFL.
List of Required Documents for Admission in MBBS in the UK
- Attested mark sheets of 10+2 with the original copies
- Diploma certificates, if any.
- A reference letter from the student’s recent professor
- A statement of intent
- A copy of the student’s updated resume
- Proof of work experience with letters of recommendation from managers, if any.
- Photocopy of IELTS/TOEFL/NEET/UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT score certificates
- Copy of a valid passport
- Copy of your previous visa, if any
- Proof of funds
- Character and migration certificates
- Medical certificates
- Photo ID proof
- Copy of the student visa
MBBS in the UK Application Process
Indian students must follow these steps to apply for MBBS at a UK university:
- Verify your documents from the respective authorities.
- You can directly apply through the university website by registering yourself.
- Visit the British Embassy to initiate the immigration process on receiving the confirmation and invitation letter.
- Please stay connected with the university and inform them of your arrival date for further formalities.
Visa Application Process for Indian MBBS Candidates in the UK
The Tier 4 visa is essential for students applying for MBBS in the UK. The Tier 4 student visa fee for Indian students is 32,970 INR. Check the list of documents you need to gather for a quick, hassle-free visa application procedure:
- A valid passport with recent photos.
- Proof of monetary ability
- Your trip details and address of residence
- University details with accommodation
- Letter of acceptance
- Original mark sheets/relevant transcripts
- Health checkup reports as a proof of fitness
Note: Make sure all your documents are written in English. If not, get them translated beforehand to avoid delay.
Once your documents are in place, follow these steps to apply for a student visa in the UK:
- Sign up, submit your visa application, and keep track of the online appointment calendar for appointment booking.
- After receiving an email with the application number, pay the fees and keep the receipt.
- Appear for the visa interview on the scheduled date with the necessary documents for verification.
- You’ll get your student visa in 6 weeks.
Scholarships Available for Indian MBBS Students in the UK
Some of the popular scholarships for the Indian MBBS students include:
|Chevening Scholarships||£18,000 (INR 17,46,000)|
|Rhodes Scholarships||£15,141 (INR 14,68,677)|
|Hulk York Medical School International Scholarship||£8,737 (INR 8,47,489)|
|Global Health Future Leaders Scholarship||£2,500 (INR 2,42,500)|
|Imperial College Faculty of Medicine Scholarship||£1,000 (INR 97,000)|
Future Aspects for Indian MBBS Graduates from the UK Universities
Upon completing MBBS from a UK university, students get a lot of opportunities to explore the industry and practice as a professional anywhere in the world or continue their education for a postgraduate degree.
A few job roles students can sign up for after completing their MBBS are:
- General Medical Practitioner with an average salary of 267,500 GBP per year.
- Obstetrician/Gynecologist with an annual salary of 383,000.
- A neurologist with an average salary of 424,000 per annum
- Ophthalmologist with an approx salary of 291,000 a year
- Invasive cardiologist with a starting salary package of 559,000 annually
Post Graduation in MBBS in the UK
For Indians, pursuing post-graduation in MBBS at a UK university for specialisation in an area of interest opens many opportunities. It helps you become a specialist and well-trained in the area.
Eligibility Criteria for Indian PG Students after MBBS in the UK
You have to fullfil the following criteria:
- MBBS degree or equivalent to that of UK
- Two years or more work experience
- An explanation for a gap year, if any
- Registration with medical council
- IELTS score of 7 or more as a proof of proficiency
For the postgraduate candidates who are already qualified doctors, passing the PLAB test is mandatory.
And that’s all about studying MBBS in the UK for Indian students. If you are interested in pursuing your medical studies in one of the best British medical schools, make sure you give your best efforts early on to earn the necessary cut-off grades and set the path to a lucrative career ahead.
All the best!
Patrick Bate is a reputed academic counsellor based in the UK. She has worked with several international academic essay help councils and is well-versed with the ins and outs of getting admission to foreign universities.