Professional Damascus Handmade Chef knife experience a huge load every day, so they need to be looked after more carefully and regularly. So, in our article, tips from the damacus1 brand on knife care will be given.
Even the best knives made from the most durable steel require regular sharpening.
But before sharpening, it is better to use musat – it is needed for straightening the knife (and not for sharpening, as many people think). The cutting edge, when blunted, begins to bend to the left or right, crumple, and flatten. Musat clings to the jams and bends the edge, restoring its original shape.
Sharpening is carried out either with the help of a sharpener more familiar to us, for example, from Mercer (as in the photo above). You can also use a whetstone. Grinding stones come in different colors and degrees of abrasiveness. Some stones can be used on both sides, and they have a different level of abrasiveness on each side. Whether to sharpen a knife in 2 stages or one is enough depends on its condition. Rough stones are needed to work on damaged or blunt blade edges. Stones with a lesser degree of abrasiveness polish small irregularities and sharpen the blade. Sharpening stones Mercer double-sided: stone M15951 400/1000and M15952 1000/3000.
Procedure for sharpening a knife with a stone:
- Soak the stone for 5 minutes and prepare a place for the stone by placing a special non-slip holder or a damp towel on the table.
- Hold the knife at an angle of 15-20 degrees, and run the blade across the surface of the stone in a smooth motion with gentle pressure until the knife blade is sharp enough.
- Turning the blade over, add water to the stone to create a good glide.
- Repeat with the other, softer side of the stone, but press the blade lighter.
- Clean the surface of the stone with a soft brush and leave it to air dry.
It is best to store knives near the place where they are most often used. However, this does not mean that they should simply be folded into one drawer.
Read Other: Choosing A Damascus Steel Knife
Magnetic wall-mounted knife holders are convenient, but there is a risk of damaging the blade, so it is better to take a closer look at wooden holders (they are also wall-mounted). Here are some storage ideas:
Ceramic, glass, stone, and metal surfaces are too hard to cut on and can quickly damage your knives.
The washing up
- No need to soak the knife, it is better to wash it immediately after use.
- Do not wash knives in the dishwasher. Do not use metal sponges. Instead, try the softer Scotch-Brite sponges.
- Wash your knife immediately after you cut citrus fruits or tomatoes – they contain acid that can attack the blade.
- The most inaccessible place is at the base of the blade, it is most often poorly washed, so pathogenic bacteria appear. Regularly check this place and additionally process (Mercer knives are as ergonomic as possible in this regard, they are easy to clean).
- Do not expose knives to bleach, soda, and chlorine-containing products: even high-quality steel will not withstand such executions and will begin to oxidize.
Read More: Best Damascus Finishing Knife 2022
If you like our article, you can tell us by commenting in the comment box and sharing this article with others so that they too can benefit from reading it if you read this article, you will find that the information given in it is correct.
We want to provide our users with the best and most up-to-date content so that our users can trust us. Thanks